Sunday, June 7, 2009

Some great "also rans"

I read so many books that when people ask me to recommend one, I often cannot remember a single title--all those bibliophilic hours blur together, and my mind just freezes up. That's one of the reasons I decided to start this blog, to insure 24 hour access to book data which is occasionally cordoned off. And there are so many books I've liked--many won't be on my favorites list yet, but I wanted to offer them as good reading choices nonetheless. Here's a baker's dozen of books:

The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer
Songs without Words by the same author
Testimony by Anita Shreve (great author!)
Where or When by the same author
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
American Wife by the same author
Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett (memoir)
Why I'm Like This by Cynthia Kaplan (memoir)
Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl (memoir)
Waiting by Debra Ginsberg (memoir)
Blind Submission by the same author
Morningside Heights by Cheryl Mendelson

Interesting that all the authors are female...hmmm. Well, in any case, some of my upcoming favorites will have male authors, I'm sure. But if not, it can't be helped. As a reader, you like what you like. No need to make apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment